Monday, March 18, 2013

Porque Cristo Santo se glorifica dentro de mi ...

Picture found at amrigunawan.blogspot.com
Man, I found myself stuck in a really murky "wish pond" today!  Of course, not literally.  When I say "wish pond," I mean that I was being Debbie Downer times ten.  As I tracked down my daughter's dirty laundry from five different rooms in the house (she's potty training and loves the freedom of being able to take off her own clothes ...) I was sighing and thinking to myself, "I feel so ineffective ... I wish I could just do something."  Then memories from my young adult years entered when I traveled the world and lived adventurously, and I thought, "That's it!  I just need to take a humanitarian missions trip!"  So then, I asked God, "Lord, could this really be just the medicine I need?"  He promptly responded with, "Heck, no!"  And here's what God pursued to speak into my heart:
"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart." Galatians 6:9
I don't think I'm alone in these moments where I feel this way (at least I hope I'm not).  I think everyone has moments when they feel like they're just waiting for something to happen.  We feel stuck in monotonous jobs that leave our passions and gifts seemly lying dormant within us.  We feel ineffective in our faith when we just can't seem to find our place, purpose and ministry.  We feel weathered and aged when we struggle through a sickness we just can't seem to shake.  We feel emptied when someone we love leaves us for no fault of our own.  But should we just drop it all and take three months of "me time"?  Heck, no!  

While every day is a battle, it is also a choice.  I'm reminded of a song I learned when I lived in Puerto Rico:

Alabad a Dios cuando las cosas salen bien, que bueno es
(Praise God when things go well, how good it is)
Alabad a Dios cuando en la vida no hay problemas, que cosa bueno
(Praise God when life has no problems, what a good thing)
Pero yo le alabo desde mi quebranto
(But I also praise Him from my calamity)
Porque Cristo Santo se glorifica dentro de mi 
(Because Christ is glorified in me)

Some days I just have to belt this song out!  I start out feeling like Debbie Downer, woe is me, but by the end I'm saying, "Thank you, Jesus, for this moment!!"  Thank you, Lord, for the reminder to keep doing good and that He is good regardless of what life brings me!  God is the answer to all of our needs and He loves to lavish blessings on us in the most miraculous ways.  

If you're lacking money to pay your bills, 
"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house.  Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it." Malachi 3:10 

If you're struggling with sadness,
"When the righteous cry out, the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.  The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:17-18

If you're confused about a decision you have to make, 
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." James 1:5

If you're burdened with guilt over something you've done,
"If we confess our sins, [Jesus] is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

If you're feeling lonely or unfulfilled,
"And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ." Philippians 4:19

If you're feeling overwhelmed as a parent,
"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

My personal conclusion to all of this: I did something!  And it feels great to be effective in my own way!  As I swept up the countless cheerios from the corners of my family room and separated off the random small toys as I swept, I started praying for my friends.  Specifically, for friends from my past, who I never get a chance to see or talk to.  NO props to me, by any means!!  I hadn't thought of, let alone prayed for, these people in months, maybe even years!  What am I doing with my time?!  Oh, well - it's a new day and I've just been awaken from a sluggish sleep.  I'm just glad that I now feel thankful for where I am and what I'm doing!  Every day is truly a gift!

3 comments:

  1. This is an amazing post. If you would've asked me a decade ago what I'd be doing at age 26, it definitely wouldn't have been scrubbing crayon marks off the wall & watching Dora the Explorer. But... that's okay. We may not be making big impacts in the world, but we are making a big impact on our kids -- even though that's hard to realize on a day-to-day basis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I totally hear that! God blessed us with kids because He knew we'd love our rugrats so much ... boogers, cheerios and all! :)

    ReplyDelete