Monday, March 12, 2012

Hamanteschen Cookies



This is a picture of the fruits of my labor on Purim Thursday.  Cookies are just not one of my favorite things to make, so when I say "labor" it's oddly accurate!  I used the recipe posted earlier last week, but had to make some revisions.  Also, the altered version, which was supposed to render 36 cookies, turned out to be a smaller batch than I had anticipated.  I tweaked the recipe as follows to suit my taste:

3 large eggs
5/8 cup sugar (I'm just making it a rounded 1/2 cup)
2 tsp lemon zest
3/4 cup butter, melted
3 cups all-purpose flour
Strawberry Preserves
Guava Jelly

In a nutshell: 1) grease the cookie sheets, 2) Beat eggs, 3) Add sugar, lemon peel and melted butter, beating mixture until light and fluffy, 4) Add flour and mix well, 5) Cover and refrigerate for 1.5 hours, 6) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, 7) On a floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-inch thickness, 8) Cut with a floured 3-inch round cookie cutter or cup, 9) Place an inch apart on cookie sheets, 10) Spoon a teaspoon of fruit filling onto each circle, alternating flavors, 11) Moisten edges of dough circles with water, 12) Folding 3 sides in, shape into triangles and pinch corners to seal, 13) Bake for 8-12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown, 14) Remove, cool, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment