Monday, March 26, 2012

All-Natural Facial Exfoliants

Natural remedies are almost always the way to go when it comes to health, and I am finding this more true than ever regarding the condition of my skin.  With the springtime flowers in bloom and the smell of freshly cut grass, I want to align my winter-parched skin with nature all the more!  Here are a few remedies I've been adding to my skin regimen that are giving me a nature-kissed glow:

Play In The Mud!

www.livingclayco.com
I have been using pure powder clay to create a facial mask that is truly one with nature.  I find that drug store and even high end masks can become drying and counter-productive, so I like to use the simplest form to get the best results: 100% mud.  To find the right product, you will want to go online or to health food stores and look for "Calcium Bentonite Clay."  I am using Detox Clay Powder from Nature's Body Beautful, which is 100% calcium bentonite clay.  Just so you know, the slogan rings true, "So pure you can eat it!"  My grandparents actually use a teaspoon mixed with a glass of water to ease a sick stomach ... haven't tried that one yet, but it sure does ease the effects of my combination skin!

Salad Dressing Scrub

courtesy of buzzle.com
I've started doing the mud mask at the beginning of the week followed by a light, all-natural scrub mid-week.  Like I mentioned previously, I have combination skin, so it's dry in some areas and oily in others.  I also tend to get enlarged pores (they've become worse with age) and flaky skin in the oily areas.  Most scrubs are harsh, leaving me with an overly rosy look in all the wrong places, which is why I always fall back on a remedy that's tried and true: apple cider vinegar.  As most people, I hate the smell of vinegar; however, I put up with the smell to get the amazing result of glowing, even-toned, youthful skin.  All you need is a washcloth, two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and hot water.

1)  Pour the vinegar into the middle of a folded washcloth
2)  Run the cloth under hot water (as hot as you can stand)
3)  Scrub your face all over for about one minute, concentrating on your t-zone and any other problematic areas
4)  Rinse with the coldest water you can stand ... done!

I would definitely recommend this step for acne-prone skin, but I would not recommend scrubbing infected areas.  Instead, I would dab blemished areas with the washcloth vinegar water mixture, so as not to break skin or irritate the area.  (In between applications, simply using hot and cold water can sometimes be better than using creams or washes, which can be abrasive to sensitive infected areas).  Apple cider vinegar is an anti-inflamatory and anti-bacterial remedy, which is great for acne-prone skin.  It is just as good for clear skin types, as it tones and conditions at the same time, leaving you with healthy, glowing skin for days following.  Pure, simple, inexpensive ... I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment