Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 12: The Midnight Watch

Last night, the effects of Hana's cold seemed to be dying down.  She went to bed gladly without crying and quickly fell into a deep sleep.  Then, at around two in the morning, I woke up to hear her whimpering in her crib.  As I was pulling my covers off to go check on her, I heard her begin to gag and choke.  I ran to her crib and realized she was vomiting, so I placed her on her hands and knees in the crib to keep her from aspirating.  When it seemed as though she was done, I started to clean her up and pull the sheets off her bed.  As soon as I had gotten her into a fresh set of pajamas and her bedding changed, I laid her down and the process started all over again within seconds.  That's when I decided to bring her into bed with me so that I could keep a better watch on her.  

Once in our bed, I laid towels underneath her and placed a large bowl near the bed ... just to be fully prepared.  By that time, she had woken up slightly but was ready to go back to sleep.  I laid at a safe distance, caressing her fine hair and rubbing her little, soft back.  She opened her eyes, studying my face for a few seconds, and then began grinning from cheek to cheek.  She pulled herself up to look me face to face, with her button nose about two inches from mine, and she stated, "Mama, I two."  As she held up her thumb and index finger, trying to make a two, I said, "Yes, you're a big girl."  Then, she leaned in to give me a kiss on the lips, rolled over and fell fast asleep.  I am so thankful I brought her to bed with me ... for more reasons than one!


No comments:

Post a Comment