Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day 2: I Spy

Today, I started to acknowledge how addicted I am to technology.  Most of us have a technology addition to some degree, but it usually only makes us feel mildly pathetic.  However, I started to realize that I'm not the only one affected by my phone and computer obsession.  Here's an example:

We started to feel the lunchtime grumbles around eleven, so I fixed Hana and myself a quick meal of quesadillas and canned lentil soup.  As we sat at the table together, Hana started throwing her lentils at the wall, which prompted me scold her and try to coerce her into eating them instead.

Lunchtime conversation can feel really one-sided with a toddler, which usually results with me bringing my laptop to the table to check my Facebook.  It's such a ridiculous cycle and I found myself almost there today.  I brought my phone to the table and was about to text my sister when I looked up and saw Hana watching me.  I know she is too little to pick up on everything, but something told me she was thinking, "Here it comes.  Pretty soon mommy won't be paying attention to me and I'll have to throw all my lentils at the wall to get her back."

That moment carried a lot of conviction for me.  I put the phone away and started playing our version of I Spy with Hana, which consists of me telling Hana, "I see something you don't see and it's a ...."  This is followed by Hana pointing to the object she feels matches the word, and cackling when she gets it right.  I guess lunchtime conversation with a toddler doesn't have to be completely one-sided, I can participate too.

No comments:

Post a Comment