Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Days 5-6: Dirty Cheerios

Recently, I read that two years old is the around the age that empathy enters a toddlers emotions.  Hana's second birthday is around the corner and I am beginning to see the evidence of this theory.  I started feeling flu-like symptoms on Sunday, which became a full blown head cold with body aches, a fever, chills, and a pounding headache by Monday.  I laid on the couch most of the day, sipping on hot tea and falling in and out of sleep.  I was so pathetic that my little toddler even noticed my poor state.  

As I lay deliriously on the couch, I woke up to Hana trying to shove Cheerios in my mouth.  She bent down slightly, just enough to look me in the eyes, and asked, "Mama, kay?"  She was concerned about me!  My little toddler who loves to hit me over the head with toys just to watch my reaction!  She then proceeded to nurse me back to life, feeding me Cheerios one by one.  It took me about a minute to realize I hadn't given her any Cheerios.  Hana had managed to scrounge up a handful of run away cereal in the unswept, dirty corners of our family room and fed them to me ... yummm!  This is a moment when you can honestly say, "It's the thought that counts."  

Despite the dirt infested Cheerios digesting in my stomach, I couldn't help but feel grateful to my little girl.  After all, she was just trying to help.  She could tell I didn't feel good, so she just did what she thought I would have done for her.  Empathy from a two year old is the best kind - so pure and so loving!  

1 comment:

  1. That's just too funny!! Just a good thing she wasn't feeding you any malted milk balls she may have found on the floor. I'm just glad I was the one to find that "malted milk ball" on the floor, rather than one of you girls....boy, that was too close for comfort - for ME!!!!!!!!!!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete