Monday, February 27, 2012

Day 24: Toddler TMI

Courtesy of Rachel Mathew Photography
Last Friday was just an all-around great day.  I feel so blessed on the days when my life is enriched with family time and small accomplishments.  I had just finished cleaning the house and was playing on the living room floor with Hana when my husband came home from work that evening.  He was tired and I didn't feel like cooking so we decided to make good use of an Applebee's gift card we received for Christmas.

We were seated at the booth closest to the bathroom and kitchen, which is not really our ideal place to sit but it's the best seat in the house to Hana.  Like most toddlers, Hana is an unreserved social butterfly and she is always very eager connect to with people everywhere we go.  I love watching the varying reactions from people when Hana innocently breaches their comfort zones.  

As Hana sat in her high chair at the end of our table, she started to notice the traffic of people moving to and fro behind her.  In an attempt to get smiles or reactions, she started yelling at each passerby, "Hey ... hi ... hi!"  Some people would smile and respond, while others gave an almost annoyed side glance and kept walking toward their destination.  While I always want to make sure that Hana is on her best behavior, I also never want to deny her something that is natural and innocent.  I feel out the situation and if she's not being too loud I let her jibber jabber away.

As we ate dinner, she was able to get some short conversations out of old ladies and waitresses, but the patrons at a nearby table seemed put off by her attempts to connect with them.  At one point, Hana twisted around to greet another passerby and somehow squeezed out some trapped gas rather loudly.  Immediately following her string of flatulence, Hana announced, "Ma, I poop!  I poop!"  I could feel the cold stares coming from our neighboring table shooting through me as I painfully held in my rolling laughter.  Again, I never deny her what is natural and innocent ... at least until she's old enough to understand social parameters.

No comments:

Post a Comment